I should like to outline of the most urgent work that needs to be undertaken at Angkor. During your visit, I had the honor to show you, the importance of the work that commander de January
Lajonquiére and I propose to carry out. As the commander has disappeared without a trace the bulk of this work falls to me.
Our proposals were summarized as follows:
- Undergrowth clearance of the courses interior of Angkor Wat.
- Clearance of various constructions of Angkor Thom and their immediate surroundings.
- Undergrowth clearance of the Bayon and the Terrace of Phimeanakas.
- Reconstitution of the old roadways through Angkor Thom.
- Reconstitution of the roadway preceding the Southern door by Angkor Thom and crossing the ditch.
The urgency of and undergrowth clearance is essential as the roots get into the spaces between the stones and have destabilized the monuments, especially the Bayon and the splendid gates to the city… it is also necessary to give air to ruins masked completely by the greenery.